From 2011-2014, I did a big day in my home town of Fairfield. I had a blast planning and executing my route in the place I feel I know best, ending up with a record of 127 species. This year, the club is launching the CT Town Big Day Challenge, with members taking part in big days in their home towns to see who can get the highest species total. We are also extending the invitation to any interested birders in CT. When everything’s said and done, I will post the final standings here. A couple of ground rules are below:
- Your big day must take place between Wednesday, May 18th and Monday, May 23rd.
- The town does not have to be where you reside. You may choose any town in Connecticut.
- You can either bird alone or with others. There is not limit on group size.
- Any bird seen while you are standing in your town counts. Even if the bird itself is in another town.
- We encourage you to use eBird to record your observations. A single checklist such as this one will do.
- Please submit your results on Tuesday, May 24th. The official standings will be posted here.
- Email me at aburdo10 ‘AT’ gmail DOT com to get your name on the participants list.
Fairfield – Alex Burdo
Norwalk – Brendan Murtha
Westport – Jory Teltser, Preston Lust
Coventry – Peter Thompson